Nearly two dozen people, including several young children, living in a northwest Omaha home were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after walking into a hospital, officials said.
The incident happened late Tuesday night, when 22 people — all members of the same family — walked into an Omaha emergency room displaying symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said. Among them were at least seven children under the age of 12.
Firefighters were then sent to the home in the Irvington neighborhood, where they found toxic levels of carbon monoxide. Several Omaha-area fire departments and EMTs also helped transport various family members to nearby hospitals for treatment. All are expected to recover.
A language barrier complicated the incident because the residents of the home are from Myanmar, the dispatcher said. Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is a Southeast Asian nation of more than 100 ethnic groups.
Officials said firefighters and utility crews were working to determine the source of the carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can cause illness and death.
The 23-year-old Fremont woman had been cited three times previously in regard to children not being supervised. The investigation found that others told Madison Craig that window blind cords were a “death sentence.”
Erica Jenkins is an inmate at the Nebraska Correctional Center for Women in York and serving a life sentence for murder (with additional decades for robbery, assault by a confined person and being a habitual criminal).